Wednesday 21 November 2012

Diwali, the sand and the orange bowl...

Last week was the Indian Festival of Diwali.  This coincided with a friend giving me the most awesome orange painted bowl... and Shannon (of henna fame) gave me a bag of multi coloured sand.  What a perfect way to celebrate Diwali and light up my life!  As usual I went a little over the top with the decorating but quite frankly, a bowl like this and all this lovely sand deserved some effort.  You may want to settle in with a cup of tea because this is going to be a long one...

Here is the bowl - its an old wooden Indian Parat which has been painted.  Parat's are traditionally used for mixing and serving chapattis.
 I do love the colour!
 A couple of days before Diwali I had it adorned with a floating rose bowl (my roses are doing well this year)...
 Shannon gave me this sand so I could do kolam (or rangoli) which is a south Indian tradition of drawing on the ground with sand in geometric patterns...
 Here is the sand all lined up ready to go - I decided to do my kolam inside on the wooden floor since it was windy outside and I didn't want all my hard work blowing away...
 I started in white...
 added as many colours as I could fit in my design...
 Here is my floor altar with Ganesh, lemon offerings, floral offerings and many candles - it looked magical...
 As you can see, I couldn't wait for it to get dark and lit it up well before sunset...

 An Indian toran I bought at the market a few weeks back added a festive feel...
 Floating candles in the rose bowl...
Ganesh lit up with candles and rose adornments...
 The orange bowl featured in its own altar to Laxmi.  For the base I used a Sanskrit cloth I bought in Nepal on my last trip there. 

 Here is another special orange bowl which Shannon gave me for my birthday (there is a green one too in the next pic) - its from Morocco and has a silver rim.  I added roses and marigolds from my garden...
 
 Laxmi and Ganesh...


 I didn't stop at two altars.... oh no, I just kept on going.  Diwali at my house is not complete without a bit of henna drawing on the doorstep...
 Henna drawing in chalk...
 To round off the night's festivities (which also included Mr Tara and I eating way too many sweets), I did a spot of peacock henna...
 For those of you who celebrated - I hope your Diwali was bright...
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello...!