Friday 24 August 2012

Decorating the doorstep...

Hello!

I am happy to say, after a bit of an artistic lull (I have not really created anything of note in the last two weeks), the lull is over, and I am back in a creative state of mind.

On Wednesday the sun shone in Melbourne, and we hit 20 degrees.  It was like summer!  But then, the weather did an about turn, and today is 14 degrees and chilly...

However, I've been out in the cold this morning decorating my doorstep.  "Visitors???" I hear you say.... well no, its just I saw this video from Rajasthan (India) on YouTube about Mandana painting on houses, and it captured my imagination.  The entrance way to our house is very ordinary - standard Melbourne brick and concrete circa 1980's.  Well, after today's efforts, its a little more interesting. 

I've never decorated the walls before, and I didn't want to wait for a special occasion (or a sunny day).  So, I braved the cold with my gloves on to decorate our entrance way with tribal style images.  The brick work is not exactly conducive to chalk drawing but I made do.  It will be a nice surprise for Mr Tara when he gets home from work won't it? 


 


  The obligatory Peacock...
 

So there it is, my tribal entranceway.  Lets hope the rain doesn't completely destroy the one on the ground!
 
Another type of doorstep decoration which you see all over India is Rangoli, which is chalk designs on the ground outside houses. I've been decorating my doorstep for visitors and parties for years (since seeing this in India), its one of my favourite things to do.  Here are a few from over the years.... 
 The lotus bloom lasted for weeks as it was summer so it never got rained on...
This one was for a party...
 as was this...

I've also been making new things for Nomadic Tara's shop, and hope to have them in the store by next week if I get the photo shoot done.  ***Note to whoever is in charge of Melbourne's weather, I'm going to need sunshine for this....
 
I hope your weekend is fun... perhaps you too, will be decorating your doorstep!
 
Tara 

1 comment:

  1. Love the chalk drawings - you are super talented Nomadic Tara!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello...!